CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Halloween Costume

I was laughing so hard while trying to take this picture. I think it's because Sebastian's eyelashes look so big because of the prescription in the glasses, and he just looks so funny. He is going to be a Grandpa for Halloween, and I found these at the Goodwill. I ended up taking the lenses out, but I had to get a picture of him first.


Tonight something happened to my little man. Some of you know that he stutters quite a bit. He is shy to begin with, but he doesn't like talking to people because he says he stutters. I took him to a speech therapist and she said that many kids stutter, and that most grow out of it, and not to interrupt him or finish his sentences. So we have been working on that.
Well at dinner tonight, Juan asked who would like to pray. Sebastian said he did, so we all closed our eyes to pray, and he began:
" Tank you Jesus for our food, bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blass dis food, Amen." During the bla bla part, we thought he was trying to be silly, and Juan, Evi and I exchanged looks, thinking that he was being disrespectful, and all along he was asking Jesus to bless our food. I almost cried. I don't want to make a big deal out of it, but I feel that he senses that he does it, and it bothers him. Anyone have any ideas on how to help him stop stuttering and helping him be more social?

4 comments:

mom2four said...

I know this sounds far fetched, and may it is, but maybe it's not.... you might check out Dr Harrell at Harrell eye clinic. Sometimes children that need vision therapy (not the same as needing eye correction) kinda "cross wires" in their speech as well. Anyway, I've heard some testimonies from people in our homeschool group and thought it might be worth mentioning ;)

Pan Cratius said...

Oh the pains of growing up. Give him a few embraces for US ALL. He'll do all right, just part of growing up, believe me I know.

Katie said...

I can sympathize with this! I stutter too! I have all my life. I used to be terrified about reading aloud anywhere as I wouldn't be able to get the words out. Something that helps me is to concentrate on slowing down my thoughts and how quickly I speak. Also there are some words that are harder to say than others, he'll learn to add others. I'm not embarrassed much anymore but I do get a little frustrated. Just try encourage him to slow down and take his time! It's hard when you have so many great things to share and say! My sis would sometimes tease me about it which made it a lot worse, I think just not making a big deal of it will help him to not think of it as a big deal! I don't have your email but send me an email and I can try to give you a few more tips that I use (katietwa@gmail.com). Having a stutter has made me a much more sensitive and caring person as it will for Sebastian too! :)

Oh, another thing, I don't stutter hardly at all when I talk with Neil, but anyone else I still do... it also comes and go in phases, sometimes it's worse than others, have you noticed any of that with him?

And now I've left you a novel!! :)

Katie said...

I was just thinking and they actually have a little device that you wear in your ear that echos the sound of your voice in your ear as you talk that helps a lot of people who stutter to overcome it. I saw it on a morning show. It's proven that when a person who stutters speaks in sync with someone else the stutter is far less or sometimes gone all together. Try reading a book with him or saying a prayer he knows with him at the same time and see if he stutters when you you are talking at the same time, if he doesn't this little echo thin might work really well for him!