CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I was a bum

Tonight I was a bum. For about 40 minutes, I got to go to a homeless shelter. You see, I was driving home from my M.E.N.D. meeting and I noticed that my battery light, and ABS light was on. This happened to us on Sunday, and we were told then that we needed a new battery, so we got one. Well as I am coasting down the road, I realize someone didn't know what they were talking about, because it was happening again. As I'm driving back from Sand Springs, I realize I am loosing power fast, so I take the first exit I come to. Turns out it wasn't the ideal exit, because it is know as the homeless neighborhood in downtown Tulsa. So I finally stop and veer into a parking lot, and see a gentleman/bum, who I ask to help me push my van into a parking space, but he had no muscles, so I decided to leave it where it was. He informs me that there is a homeless shelter next door and they might let me borrow their phone. ( I had tried calling Juan when I was first loosing power, but my phone was going dead. All he knew I was stranded in downtown Tulsa, and didn't know where I was). So.. as I am walking up to the door, I see several people out on the sidewalk, sleeping. When they buzz me in(after explaining why I was there), I see many, many more people laying on floor space, sleeping. So I use the phone and call my wonderful brother-in law, John to come rescue me ( of course with my hubby/knight in shining armor also on his way). So after about 40 minutes of waiting, I see the guys out by the van trying to get it working. I decided to contribute to the needy and gave them the left over pink lemonade cupcakes I made for our meeting. They seemed excited!
So, the moral of the story...1- don't leave the house without your phone charged- you never know when you'll need it, and 2- be prepared for bums to ask you for cigarettes or money. ( A bum asked Juan for a cigarette, but Juan told him he was an Olympic athlete, and he didn't smoke) and 3- always carry cupcakes, you never know when they'll come in handy!

4 comments:

Yvonne said...

oh dear lord. that's awful! you'd better go back to wal-mart & raise some serious CANE!

Mary Beth said...

I'm glad everything turned out okay. At least you weren't in another state. It's great you had two men coming to your rescue.

The Urbans said...

Moral #4- Don't get your car fixed at Walmart.

RoverHaus said...

That's so interesting. Why, just the other day, I ran into a bag lady in a homeless shelter who was passing out cupcakes.

Glad you are safe.